Monday, February 1, 2010

Ken's Journey to Tanzania: Journal Entry #1

Ken Russo is spending three months this winter volunteering at The Baobab Home, an orphanage in Bagamoyo, Tanzania that provides care for children with HIV/AIDS. He is documenting his fascinating experiences and sends us periodic updates from his journal.
Here is his latest entry. Read about his whole journey starting back at the end of January ...


Monday, February 1
It’s my fifth day here and starting to get into the much slower rhythm of African life. The town is stunningly poor and yet there seems to be an overall joy that I seldom see at home. I have breakfast at the guest house and the cook has sat with me the last 3 days. He’s an ambitious young man who works 16 hours a day 6 days a week. His father teaches economics and he wants to make his father proud. Today we spoke of the AIDS crisis and the lack of prevention education. His English is amazing and he’s also helping me with my Swahili.

Yesterday we went out to the farm with several of the children from the orphanage. It is 15 acres about 15 minutes from town but a world away. Lush rolling hills, fruit trees everywhere. A strong breeze kept everyone comfortable. It was truly idyllic. The orphanage and Terri will be moved out there permanently later this year as they are about halfway through construction. Earlier yesterday I met Prudenciana, my tutor, for a 2 hour Swahili lesson she’s young, smart and is a teacher at a Montessori school in Dar es Salaam . I will have classes Sat and Sun every week. Tuesday I take Steve to Dar es Salaam to see the oncologist and then if he’s feeling up to it we’ll see a movie, hopefully in English. Steve is 15, weighs 53 lbs and is very sick with AIDS. We have really bonded. He’s even painting a picture for me and he’s really quite good.

Last night I went to a huge outdoor sports bar with Caito, Terri’s husband. It was the soccer championship of Africa and it was packed under the stars with a huge screen. The Tanzanians are huge soccer fans so the night was exciting and Caito’s friends were incredibly welcoming. It was an amazing night.

This morning was the first day of the breakfast program at the clinic for people with HIV. Got up at 6 and walked 2 miles to the clinic in the beautiful African morning always with the ocean in view. The clinic is on the Indian Ocean and the 100 people we served were so gracious and grateful and had many laughs when I spoke my rudimentary Swahili.

I gave George the clothes I brought him and he was so excited he tried everything on and ran into the living room of Baobab Home to show us how he looked. I was relieved to see that everything fit. He can now start school and feel more confident. Such a small thing has such a huge impact here.

The heat is not as oppressive as I expected and even though it is hot and humid there has been a good breeze each day off the ocean which is only a couple hundred yards from the guesthouse. My room is spartan but clean and neat with a private bath and cold water shower which is very welcome twice a day.

The people have been very welcoming and helpful especially with my Swahili. There is a real feeling of community here. Everyone seems to look out for each other’s children. It really does take a village.

No comments: